Bones are interconnected through joints. The joints provide the support and keep us mobile. When these joints are inflamed or damaged, they cause a lot of pain, and our movements become limited or completely disabled.
Joint pain can be caused by many types of injuries or conditions. The most common joint complaints are knee pains and then shoulders and hips, but any part of our body can be affected and disabled. The joint pains become more common and more chronic as we grow old. Records show that women get them more frequently after 50, and men get them before 45.
Joint pains can be just annoying or it can be completely incapacitating. They can last for days or for weeks, but they will definitely affect the quality of our life. We will find ourselves willing and eager to try almost anything to alleviate the pain that we are experiencing and to be able to move freely again, with no pain.
There are many popular treatments recommended like massage, chiropractic, acupuncture, medications and even surgery, but not all of them are very effective. However, it is also advisable to take supplements that will aid in preventing or at the joints.
The most popular way is by taking supplements to keep the joints healthy, and to help prevent the inflammation as well as reducing the pain in the joints. The 6 most popular supplements for joint health are:
1. Glucosamine – is an acid produced naturally in the body. It helps in the formation and repair of cartilage. A 1,500mg dose each day for one to two months is recommended.
2. Chondroitin – is partly responsible for making the cartilage stronger and more flexible. It also helps in preventing the destruction of the cartilage. It can be taken once a day (800mg) or twice a day (400mg).
4. Combination Supplements – a combination of all three supplements mentioned above are available right away. Consult with your primary physician first before you start any kind of medication like this one.
5. Calcium and vitamin D – are the most important nutrients for bone protection. Not enough calcium in the body may cause to lose bone mass faster and make the bones prone to cracking and splintering.
6. SAMe – this natural molecule delivers sulfur to the cartilage, which helps build strong joints. Take 400mg twice a day for two weeks, then lower down to 200mg twice a day for the next two weeks.
Whatever treatments or supplements your doctor recommended, make sure to consult with a medical team immediately if your joint worsens and leaves you incapacitated.